Adult Bible Study Class
St. Demetrios Church
Rev. Dr. Christopher T. Metropulos
January 26, 2014
Gospel of Matthew 9:1-26
Opposition from the Pharisees
- Jesus Heals the Paralytic (1-8)
- Forgiving the sins of the paralytic
- Effort of his friends
- “That you may know the Son of Man has authority upon earth to forgive sins”
- The Call of Matthew (9-13)
- Gospel written by a member of Matthew’s community and not the Apostle himself
- Jesus amongst the tax collectors and Pharisee’s confusion as to why “I want mercy and not sacrifice, go and learn what this means”
- The Question about Fasting (14-17)
- “Why do we..and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not? Can the sons of the bridal chamber mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them?
- New wine into old skins- fasting is not done in a legalistic spirit-never an end in itself.
Christ’s authority over sickness and death
A girl restored to life (18-26)
My daughter has just died..no she is asleep.
On the way to heal the leaders daughter he encounters another woman who was hemorrhaging for 12 years and heals her when she touches his garment.
“Have courage my daughter, your faith has made you well.”
Jesus then begins his journey again and heals the young girl whom he started out assist.