We thank the 299 stewards who have pledged for 2014.
NO COFFEE HOUR RECEPTION
We are sorry but there will be no coffee served in the community center on Sunday, May 25. The hall is decorated for a wedding that will take place in the afternoon. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Live Broadcast of the Ecumenical Celebration of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and Pope Francis in Jerusalem
EWTN has confirmed that this Catholic Television Network will broadcast LIVE the Ecumenical Celebration at the Holy Sepulchre on Sunday, May 25, at 11:30am Eastern time. Please see flier.
St. Demetrios Summer Camp
This camp is offered as a way for our young people to further engage their faith and build relationships with others. There are many activities and workshops that will imprint the christian ethos on their minds and hearts. This is a wonderful and unique opportunity for our youth to experience Christ and our Orthodox faith alongside their friends, peers, and mentors.
Please have anyone interested to contact me by email (Garry Paxinos) to request an application. Applicants must be related to an AHEPA member. (Son, daughter, grand daughter, niece, nephew,…) The deadline for us to receive the application is May 30th.
Daughters of Penelope Scholarship applications are now available. Please call Nina McGuirk at 954-537-2710 for more information.
Three Hierarchs Scholarship (THS) Award:
Application forms for the THS awards of Drs. Anthony and Joyce Kales are available in the Church office. These scholarships are awarded strictly on the basis of meritorious academic achievement for college bound seniors. The academic guidelines for consideration include:
- placement in the top 10% of one’s class
- membership in the National Honor Society
- a combined SAT Verbal and Math score of 1280 or greater (1300 or greater if the high school does not have a ranking system or membership in the National Honors Society).
- Deadline for submission of application is June 15.
Philoptochos Brown Bag Drive
The Philoptochos BROWN BAG food drive is coming to a close on June 1st. Al bags of food should be brought to the community center. If you wish to make a monetary contribution, please see Dee Hopwood.
Now Accepting Applications!!
- The Education, Youth and Cultural Committee is now accepting applications for the various ministries for the 2014-2015 calendar year. Please consider sharing your talents with our church family. You may mail the Volunteer Application Form to the church or fax it to us at 954-467-0212. You may also signup online!
Father Chris and Fr. John and the Committee are looking forward to another year of vibrant programs for our Parishioners. You may pick up a form in the south Narthex.
- The Education, Youth and Culture Committee (EYCC) of Saint Demetrios invites applications for vacancies in the Language and Culture Program. These positions are (1) Program Director and (2) Teachers of the Greek language. Additional information regarding this ministry may be found on line at http://tinyurl.com/mtcn2rf and volunteer applications at: http://stdemetrios.org/our-parish/educational-programs/eycc-volunteer-application/ Please call Kiki Sergiou at 954-467-1515 to set up an appointment to meet with Fr. Chris.
Save the Date for the New Year!!
St. Demetrios, with the help of Stephen Solos, is co-ordinating a one week cruise aboard the MSC Divina . Set to sail Dec. 27 with stops in St. Maarten, San Juan and Gr. Stirrup Key and back Jan. 3.
A fully refundable deposit of $100. per person is due upon booking with final payment due Oct. 3. Please see flier.
Memorial Day, Monday, May 26 cemetery visitations
Fr. John is visiting these cemeteries on Memorial Day
8:00 am — Pompano Cemetery
9:00 am – Forest Lawn Cemetery
11am – Lauderdale Memorial Gardens
The last visit is Evergreen Cemetery.
Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry
Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen!
The following testimony from an Orthodox Christian inmate in Central Florida dramatically emphasizes the importance of Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry and the need to support Prison Ministry Awareness Sunday.
“… We couldn’t do all Twelve of the Passion Gospels. When it came to the Gospel reading, we went with the entire 25th Chapter of Matthew. At the end of the service, we all commented on how we felt the presence of Christ being with us during the Service; ‘…where two or three are gathered in My name, there am I in the midst of them’.” “Indeed Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen!” We all felt his presence this Pascha Season. Even under a light pole on the south yard of some prison in Central Florida.
“We are not a large Community of Orthodox Christians, but our love of the Lord is large. So, we here, behind the fences and razor wire of this prison in Central Florida that worship under the banner of the Orthodox faith, know for sure that “Christ is Risen!” and His presence is here with us daily. This only goes to prove once again that the Light, Love, and Grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ shines on us. Even behind these prison bars.”
In the Glory of His Resurrection,
Fr. Dean Photos, St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Church, Winter Haven, FL
Co-Chairman Metropolis of Atlanta Prison Ministry